Friday, July 18, 2008

Yuengling Lager - a reflection, not a review

by Jonathan Kosakow

I live in New York, and I went to school in Pennsylvania. In New York, Yuengling is everywhere, and you ask for it by name (ie: "Excuse me barkeep, I'll have a Yuengling."). A pint usually goes for $5 - about average for New York bars. It tastes delicious, and, if you ask me, is well worth the price (especially when you compare it to a $5 Miller Lite bottle). In middle-of-nowhere-Pennsylvania, a pint goes for about $3 at the most expensive bars, and a pitcher is less than $10. The beer is fresh. To order, you simply ask for a "Lager", and every bartender knows which Lager you are referring to.

-"I'll have a Lager."
-"That'll be $3."

There's something about that interaction that makes me feel warm inside.

1 comment:

Beer Made Clear said...

It's hard to beat a cold bottle of lager...