Friday, July 25, 2008

Baltika "Extra Lager" 9

By Jonathan Kosakow

During my time in Europe, I drank a lot of beer. Of all that beer, I can honestly say I only had one bottle I genuinely thought tasted, well, awful. That bottle was made by Baltika.

I never thought I'd see it in the United States, seeing as it is basically the Busch Light of Russia (though somehow it made it's way into Belgium and the Czech Republic). Unfortunately, though, here it is.

My roommate bought this extra-large "Extra Lager" (what the hell is an "extra lager?") just because he was curious. $2.25 for 51 ounces of 9% ABV complete and total acidity, how could you beat it? I think it was the plastic bottle with a twist cap that really nailed down the deal.

When you first twist off the Coca-Cola-two-liter-esque cap, you immediately ask yourself, "Ew, what's that smell?". The answer I came up with is this: "It smells like bad wine that's been left out, open, for about two months." Being the curious idiot that I am, I accepted a small glass of the stuff. I was scared. Thankfully, it went down smoothly, and I did not vomit. Maybe it's the affinity I've developed for drinking warm Colt 45 on a winter's eve, or maybe it's just that I've killed all the taste buds on my tongue somehow or other, but I can honestly say it wasn't the worst thing I've ever tasted. It was pretty God-awful, though.

Unless you really enjoy a good automobile accident, I recommend this beer to nobody.

No comments: