Wednesday, July 2, 2008

The sad fact of money

By Matt Vekasy

This post is in a response to Dan's post of his "recent reflection," even though I responded to his post already. While I too have that same problem, my problem is that I don't get to enjoy beer as often as I'd like.

I'm 24. I live in Boston. I'm poor and at some times broke. Now I don't believe that money buys all happiness, but I do think that money pays for things and situations that bring happiness. If there could be a graph of my beer drinking career it would show high quantity, but low quality in the beginning and now low quantity, but high quality more recently. I do go on the occasional tear and drink massive amounts of watered-down American lagers, but those nights don't occur every weekend like they did in college.

Regardless, I'm finding that money keeps me from enjoying the quality beers that I enjoy so much. It keeps me from buying ingredients for hombrewing as often as I'd like. It keeps me from going to bars to enjoy beer as often as I'd like. It keeps me from going to the store and buying quality beer as often as I'd like. It keeps me from traveling to other cities to explore (and have some beer) as often as I'd like.

But I'm a glass is half full type and I realize that I am 24, and that I do live on my own in a great city, and I do have a job that pays the bills. And this all makes enjoying good beer that more special. It's not something that happens every day for me, but when it does happen it brings me happiness. So I'm not sure where I'm going with this, but I guess I just wanted to say wish I had more time and money to enjoy the things I want to enjoy, but so does everybody else. And so all I can do is keep moving forward and continuously improving and

"relax, don't worry, and have a homebrew"

1 comment:

jonathan kosakow said...

i'll have to agree with you on that one, matt - on many accounts. i am also a 24 year old living in a great city. my job pays the bills, and i can afford a night of binge drinking every now and again (although that becomes a purge on my wallet), but going to the store and spending $10 on a 6-pack just seems too much of a burden some days. The price of hops is rising, and wheat, and everything else for that matter, and it's really cutting into my time to drink quality beer. but, like you say, relax, have a home brew.