Friday, July 18, 2008

Saison Dupont – Belgian Farmhouse Ale

by Christopher Kampel

I’m getting a slightly tart, caramel scent with a hint of citrus-like spices and almost a chopped wood aroma. The coloration is blonde while opaque and unfiltered. Wow, interesting, there’s a lot going on here. Mildly bitter and definitely malty on the front with a grainy back end. It feels like my tongue is swimming in pool of the smell that my nose initially identified, but with a bite. The taste can easily be compared to the smell of an old empty barn and is reminiscent of Belgian style ales such as La Chouffe. This brew is well spiced with some peppery overtones I’m definitely noticing as I continue to drink it. The dry, bitter, spiced taste is well balanced with the sweeter caramel blonde flavors. I would say Dupont’s Saison a very flavorful beer that hits the pallet in quick waves leaving an overall pleasant experience. The final sip was as full of flavor as the first and even better!

Dupont’s Saison has a welcoming 6.5% ABV and is a complex brew. I could definitely drink a second and possibly several more with the fun balance of flavors in the mix. I would recommend this beer to any fan of Belgian beers who like the spiced, malty side of them with a relatively mild bite. This one gets a solid B+/A- depending on the circumstances (I’ve had a couple wheat beers already). Try this one for sure!

No comments: