Sunday, July 6, 2008

Sierra Nevada - 2008 Southern Hemisphere Harvest Fresh Hop Ale

by Jonathan Kosakow

It was a normal Sunday evening when I decided to go the grocery store and stock up on my lunch for the week. As always, I walked to the beer aisle to see if there were any new gems the beer gods decided to drop on me. Normally, I walk out either empty-handed or with a 6-pack of an old faithful. On this day, though, I was pleasantly surprised when I noticed a bottle I had never seen before, by a brand I had often relied on. The 2008 Sierra Nevada brew, using the only hops on our planet harvested in the spring (found in New Zealand), rested on a shelf in an inviting 24-oz. bottle. I almost didn't take the bait, I was in the mood for an Hefeweizzen, and hadn't even considered an ale. In the end, though, I couldn't resist.

My first reaction was to note that it's quite similar to Sierra's Pale Ale, but after one or two good sniffs and sips, I knew I was holding something more special. The freshness of the hops gives a much crisper taste, and a sweeter finish, while at the same time maintaining the basic flavor and aftertaste of the Pale Ale.

When I give it serious thought, I can't help but think that it's not much different than the reliable Pale Ale, and therefore maybe not worth the extra effort. However, there is something to this I can't put my finger on. It's special. It's a great idea. The combination of the freshest hops of the season, on one side of the world, with the malts we all know and love from the other side, adds such a subtle difference to the taste of a beer we all know and love, that I feel I must recommend it. The 6.7% ABV doesn't hurt too much, either.

Color: amber
ABV: 6.7%

No comments: