Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy


By Matt Vekasy (circa July 25th, 2008)

It was a hot summer day in July and I took the day off to help my brother and his wife move. I showed up bright and early w/ a box o' coffee and we got to work... watching the movers do everything. (Lesson: helping people move who have hired movers is awesome). The moving was finished by noon and my brother and I made a trip to the grocery store and the liquor store. I picked up a 6-pack of Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy. I've had their sunset wheat before, but I wanted to try something new. I quickly realized that I had grabbed my new official summer moving beer.

This beer was so crisp and refreshing that by two beers in I wasn't thirsty for beer anymore. I can't tell you about the appearance or smell because I was parched and just drank it right out of the bottle. But I can tell you that this beer made me happy and after moving (alright not moving, but it was a hot day) all morning, Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy quenched my thirst. I remember not knowing what a shandy was when I bought it, but Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy tasted more like beer than of a wine cooler and left me refreshed and recharged.

I have since learned that Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy is a mix of lemonade and beer. More info can be found below:
Official website
Beer Advocate review

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Speaking of moving, would you mind coming down this weekend to help me move a couch into my new pad? Actually, on second thought, you probably wouldn't be much help you sissy. wine coolers, really? I hope you enjoyed moving your barbie dream house too.

jonathan kosakow said...

Note - moving with one other person in the middle of July SUCKS. The only way to make it seem half-not-terrible is to drink your pain away. Good work.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

A "shandy" is a mix of beer and lemonade. A MOST EXCELLENT choice, as my good friends Bill & Ted would say.

Furthermore, this drink is of great popularity in Germany, but they get their balls in an uproar b/c it violates the Rheinsgebott (sic?) which is the beer purity law of 1500 or 1600-something. Not clear on the dates. But Shandy, American Shandy, soak it in and shwill the taste of freedom straight from the bottle!