Monday, June 30, 2008

Stone Ruination IPA

written by Tom Neuhauser

The first thing I noticed about this beer is its strong aroma. Definitely citrus notes- the more I smell it, the sweeter and less harsh it becomes....same thing with the actual taste of the beer. First sip is definitely startling and a bit harsh- some natural piney notes accompany the bitter citrus taste. Each sip gets mellower and sweeter as the taste buds become used to the extreme hop presence. I think this is the hallmark of a really good beer- it tastes different from first to last sip and generally gets better as you drink it.

This is a very entertaining beer- as I drink it, I can taste sense different flavors on different parts of the tongue. Definitely not a beer to pound; this is a beer to savor. I wouldn't call this a good session beer because of the high alcohol content and strong flavor, but it definitely has its place. Compared to other IPA's, this one has much more of the piney, earthy, natural taste.

Overall, an excellent beer.

7.7 abv
100+ IBU's (seriously!)

No comments: